Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Just say no...

Anyone ever seen these?? Or maybe made them?




Or these??




Well, let me just tell you a funny little story as to why I am boycotting making some of my own. I guess you could say I had a "bad experience."

My Sophomore year in college 3 girlfriends and I were getting ready before a Christmas party. Everyone came over to my 100 year old house I was renting to "get ready."

The heat was on, the candles in the non-working fireplace were lit and the candles were wrapped in the most beautiful bark/ bark paper I had ever seen. 

We had on the typical nostalgic christmas songs, were drinking egg nog and helping each other put on makeup.

A friend,Victoria, says "aww I love this song, chessstnutsss roasting.... on an open fire......" Then we noticed a cracking sound of a fireplace coming from the den.

We all acknowledged the sound and carried on with getting ready. 

As we gathered our coats to leave I walked in the den to almost 3 foot flames emerging from the fire place. 

Well, four college girls go frantic when someone, namely me... an overly dramatic Olivia De Havilland type, runs to grab a pitcher of water to begin extinguishing the flames emerging from the bark candles and the fireplace. 

Ironic huh? 

As I round one corner to poor water on the flames, Victoria, rounds the other corner and screams, "Flour will extinguish it!!"

Well ever wondered what flames, flour, and water make???

Vintage soot covered playdoh!!!!

Luckily the flames went out quickly, I had a homemade paste to get that fireplace as clean as it has ever been.

And most importantly, a lesson was learned!!! 

No comments: