Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pictures and a Prayer Request

Found a few more sweet pictures I thought I would share.
loading up in the car on the way home from the hospital!
 this crazy hair just kills me haha
sleeping away at our first dr. appointment.
In our almost 2 weeks with this little guy the one thing we have found is he REALLY likes to sleep. And fine by me:) At night we are going close to 5 hours at a time!! I find myself waking up to make sure he is okay!
In other news some of you may or may not know I have had a unique post-delivery experience to say the least.
The Story:
Labor was relatively quick, delivery even quicker and overall I was really hoping to be able to do a VBAC. Halfway through labor we did not think it would be possible because I was not progressing. I purposely waited to get an epidural as to not slow down labor any more than it was already. Once I got the epidural I went from 3 to 10 in an hour and a half!! Guess I just needed the medicine to relax a little. haha. 

So, day after baby is born we had lots of visitors. I knew I was swelling a little bit but didn't think much of it at first. 
We came home monday afternoon and by tuesday afternoon my feet were so swollen I could only wear my house shoes. I was also having a hard time breathing (felt as if my back between by shoulders and at my sternum were bruised.) On friday my face had begun to swell and I was not feeling like myself at all. Friday night around 9:30 we packed up and headed back to labor and delivery to see if they could determine what was wrong.
Originally all symptoms pointed to Eclampsia. They tested my blood pressure (usually low, 110/60) and it was 159/88. This typically isn't too high but high for me it was. My pulse was a different story; it was dangerously low, staying at a solid 38-40.(normally between 70-80) My Dr. was not on call and lab work all that came back elevated was my liver enzyme levels. They sent me home without any answers and said you are too close to borderline for us to administer the Magnesium. I literally laid on the couch all day sat and all day sunday. 

Monday I went to drop AC off at MDO I told a friend of mine there about my crazy weekend and she insisted after school I go by her house and have her husband (a paramedic) check my BP and HR. Again we got very similar ratings to what we found on friday night. My friend called a close friend of hers who happens to be a L&D nurse. She gave her the run down and the two of them decided I needed to head back to the hospital. On my way home I called my Dr.'s office, just so happened she was out of office that day and the nurse agreed with the friends I needed to go back to the hospital. 
I met casey at home and was NOT wanting to go. We ate our dinner and got AC headed over to a friends house. We spent the better part of the night going back and forth.

At first my nurse told me they would admit me for testing, then she said L&D was so full that people all around me were having to labor without epidurals in Triage because they didn't have room on the floor for these women. (broke my heart!) Then around 9:30 my Dr. came up to the hospital. My heart rate was staying around 39 and at some times dropping as low as 35. BP was still elevated. She ordered more labs, a CT Scan, and an EKG. After the EKG the Dr. seemed concerned and told me she would be consulting a cardiologist to read the test as well. Labs all came back normal and CT Scan came back normal. They did find a little big of fluid on my lungs and said that should be relieving as the swelling goes down.
Tuesday I met with the cardiologist (who I LOVE) she ordered another EKG and an Echo cardiogram. Both of those came out seemingly fine. Once I am released for physical activity I will do the stress test and she will put me on a heart monitor. 
So... all of this to say everything I have been feeling and they have tested is one big mystery!!
If I could ask for specific requests they would be for the Dr. to find something in all the tests we have already run and see if something was missed or over looked. 
Also, in the coming weeks for the cardiologist to be able to explain the sudden drop in my heart rate and determine if medicine is necessary to help my levels return to normal.

Thank you for everyone who has already been praying and been so concerned. Such an incredible feeling to know you are being blanketed in prayer.
I am also happy to report most of my swelling has decreased to a manageable level so I can continue to rest and take care of my babies. 

Hope each of you are having a wonderful week.


Megan said...

Your in my prayers! I hope they can find out what is wrong. And wow how scary, delivery in the triage room.

He is so adorable!!

maribeth said...

wow, jenny beth! I knew a little about what was going on, but not everything. I hope you can get some answers because the answer that there is no answer is never fun. glad you are feeling better! he is precious!

Lindsey @ The Savvy Speechie said...

Jenny Beth- thinking and praying for your sweet family. If there is anything you need-dinner, help on the weekends, an ear to listen- please, do not hesitate!