Thursday, April 28, 2011

My second home

Last night a monstrous tornado ripped through my college town of Tuscaloosa, namely the street I lived on for 3 years.



The tornado was reported to be almost a mile wide and a f-4 tornado.
Last I heard there were winds up to 200 miles per hour.



This is a pic of 15th street someone posted last night right after the storm. My dear friend heather and I loved the Japanese restaurant that was on the right, Hokkaido may you rest in peace.



Here is a before and after of Mcdonalds on 15th. To the right hand side you can see the hospital in the distance. The hospital is reportedly running on backup generators and can do so for up to 15 days.



The next few pictures show such destruction the area is completely unrecognizable to me.









This is the side of an apartment complex.



Here is another angle.






Another small apt complex at two different angles


These were the sidewalks my husband and I would walk our sweet puppy on.


Another view of the hospital.

Not too far away (maybe 3 streets over) is a very small section 8 housing community located near the hospital. I don't know at this time how severe their damage was but my heart is aching for these low income families.



This is 15th later this afternoon.

I have called all my friends still living in ttown to check on them and did not reach them via phone but have seen them check in via Facebook and twitter.

For the families of the ones who lost their lives I am lifting you all up in prayer.


Alot of these homes were inhabited by college students (I am sure not many had renters insurance and lost almost everything)


A current student posted these pics tonight around 5 pm. This is the base of a massive powerline. Notice how large the hole around the pole is. Apparently these poles were swaying like palm trees and the winds knocked them loose from their holdings.



Schlotzky's deli nearly demolished.



A students second floor apartment.



A home completely removed from it's foundation and replaced by a car.

What a powerful and mighty god we serve.

I hope each of you will join me and lift the lives of each affected in prayer.

I also didn't realize until today how much Tuscaloosa had of my heart.

If you would like to help you can "like" crimson cares or toomer's for Tuscaloosa on Facebook and find out where physical items an manpower is needed most.

My husband and I are hoping to go down next weekend and help in any way possible.

Feel free to comment if you want to join, we r in the process of booking hotel rooms in Birmingham now.

If you would like to give a monetary donation:

You can #donate to the Alabama chapter of the #RedCross by texting "REDCROSS" to 90999 $10 will be added to your next phone bill.

The news i read/ heard today was:
To my best knowledge roads from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa are still blocked and the National Guard has been brought in to help control the crowds at this time. UA has ended the semester without exams, graduating students will walk in august.

All displaced students can go to the student rec center for shelter and the university is offering shuttles to the airport and encouraging all students to head home due to extensive power outages.

Tuscaloosa holds such amazing tradition, pride, and so many precious memories for so many people.

Give an extra kiss and hug to your loved ones tonight. We will prevail!!



3 comments:

MamaMonki said...

My hubby's great aunt lives in Cullman - luckily her home was spared - we're definitely praying for everyone down there. I can't even begin to imagine.

Sarah said...

I went into panic mode Wednesday night when I could't reach any of my friends. Luckily I did Thursday morning and all are fine. I can't imagine what it would be like to still be living down there. I can't even believe that I lived there less than a year ago.

Jessie Jones said...

Cell service was so bad..... it was scary. So glad it's over and we can get started on recovery. Thanks for all your prayers JB.....