Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Breakup

Ever had that feeling when you walk into a store
.
You know...
.
The one where real life kinda stops, you get lost in the music playing, the perfectly orchestrated displays and the sea of color around you?
.
I used to do this with a local shop. 

I could walk in and dream of what I would hang above my couch, where I could find a place for that lamp, why I needed a little "ditty" to come home with me. 
.
Well.... I took the plunge and bought local.
.
Actually something I rarely do. I usually shop online for just about everything.
.
On a random evening I happened to be in the part of town this store is located in and I stopped in and on a whim took the plunge and bought the runner I had been dying to have for my entry way.
.
I left overjoyed, elated... sooo excited my new runner would be with me before I knew it. 
.
I waited, and waited, heard nothing from the store, so I called to check on my items arrival date (after all they did have to order it for me) 
.
"Good girl" I told myself, "way to support local businesses"...

After 17 days I decided I would pop in the store to check in and see if they knew how much longer, It was the week of my birthday, I was treating myself to a little something with some birthday money I had received.
.
The usual girl who helped me barely noticed me, not even a usual hello.
.
I proceeded to purchase myself a necklace, and my two yr old behaved exceptionally well this day.
.
When I inquired about my {larger than normal} purchase all three people snubbed me and told me it takes a while. 
.
Actually I knew what they were doing, they charged me shipping on the item and were waiting on other special orders so they could group them all together and not be charged shipping and pocket the extra fee.
.
I got a haughty "sorry not here yet, should be here later in the week"
.
I left slightly upset to get 3 street lights away for one of them to call and say, "oops, it was in the back, and has been for a while." {remember 17 days.}

So I actually picked up the phone and called the company. ahem... Dash and Albert. If I had ordered direct I would have had my item in 5 business days, paid $20.00 less for the rug, and been charged no shipping. essentially saving almost $50.00.
{how about them apples}
.
I considered contacting the store owner and letting her know of my little dibacle. 
.
When I saw her out I thought to mention it, but she happened to be so snobby and rude I decided it was time for a breakup.
.
I will miss the displays, and the music.
.
I will feel guilty for not supporting local businesses, but now I know I get my item on time, it can be returned, I won't be charged shipping, and hopefully deal with a nice person in customer service... and who doesn't love opening a beautifully packaged item??

Ever had to breakup with your favorite store??
What happened?

No comments: