Thursday, November 5, 2009

2 hour curtains!! oh.. and basic sewing skills.

Okay so wanted something with a Luxe look. 
Seeing as my husband is still in school and i knew he wouldnt allow me to hop on over to the curtain exchange and drop oh... $500 bones on drapes for our kitchen I got crafty... 
I mean honey my wheels were really turning. 
So here is what i came up with. First i went to Marshalls, T.J. Maxx, and Stein Mart looking for solid colored faux silk panels i could snaz up... 
Here is what I found.

I know aweful picture. I drapped it over the highchair. sorry. So then I bought some striped fabric from hancocks and found the perfect matching paisley fabric at joann's. 

So far i spend 29.99 on the panels, 10.00 on the striped fabric at hancocks, and 20.00 on the fabric at joann's. so running total.$60.00 bucks. 
Then i cut my striped fabric on the bias (45 degree angle) so i could gather the fabric for a uniform ruffle.
[ for those of you not up to par on your sewing knowledge most silks chiffons, taffeta's and organza "lay" properly when cut on the bias. This could be used for a men's tie, one of those gorgeous bridesmaid's dresses, swag curtains, and even skirts.]
Then i sewed down this ruffle and attached it to my panels.

This is wherer the craftiness began. I gathered the top portion of the panel and used a good ole fashioned poneytail holder and wrapped it around the curtain. 

(I feel they are much more durable than rubber bands.)
Over time rubber bands deteriorate and poneytail holders only break if you stretch them too far.

Then I nailed a hole in the wall. and hung the poneytail on the nail.
Next, I used my scrap fabric from my ruffle to make a 'cover' to hide my poneytail holder and i fastened in the back with a safety pin.


Now turn that sucker to 'hide' in the back and you have two lovely panels.

Now for the center section I used the lid to my cake dome for the shape. 
This is where you have to be a little crafty and gradually form the curve at the end. all i did was turn the fabric on the bias, at the bottom form my rounded edge, pin RIGHT sides together on the three sides and sew. 
Flip rightside OUT and make a panel to slip a rod in and hang. 
VOILA!!

two hours later you have a BEAUT of a kitchen window...

Enjoy!! 
Email me if you have any questions.
jbrodden@gmail.com

No comments: