Monday, March 8, 2010

Outdoor Deconstruction

As most of you know last May Casey and I bought a foreclosure. It has been an exciting/daunting task to take on these projects we originally said, "this will be so easy to redo." Well like many of you have said before tasks you thing are easy end up being much more time consuming.

Link it up...
I decided to link this post to Amanda's Show Me the Progress Linky Party. So as you enjoy seeing me, My husband, and my sweet daddy take down these ugly things tell me.. do you think we are headed in the right direction?? Any suggestions as to what we should do with our now empty space. All we knew is we wanted these two items gone.

  1. because the mosquitos in the summer are insane out the frame
  2. we wanted our daughter to have some more backyard place space
  3. we wanted a place to put a table a chairs next to our grill so we can begin entertaining more.
  4. So.... what do you think???? Have we gotten in over our heads??
The Backyard

We finally began the daunting task of taking out the koi pond, deconstructing the very tiny deck, and enclosing our screened in porch. Between last weekend and this weekend there isnt a bone, or muscle, rather that doesnt ache. I am learning the beauty of documenting my projects so i can bask in the after as i reflect on the before.
Casey really hates having his picture taken but was a real trooper through all of this.
mmm isnt this mildewed porch just gorg??? 

I am soooo glad to see this go.


Do I keep this fountain and repaint to reuse on the soon to be enclosed screened in porch??
Daddy, using the good ole crowe bar and hammer.

please note that we had to barricade the end of this deck because the nincompoop that built it didnt make stairs rather left it open. what does this spell for a beagle born to hunt???
TROUBLE!!! he kept getting stuck chasing all the neighbors cats who love to run around and taunt him. i am still devising a plan to keep them out... any suggestions?? cat nip.. bee bee gun?? Arsenic?? jk..

see this little buddy?? he is beginning to wonder if we are taking away his freedom.. or giving him more.... sooo confused.


did i mention that baby was soooo worried about daddy and poppy doing so much work. this over the top facial expression says it all.


pond filled with junk.... dont worry it was cleaned up.
This is the little pile from the last weekend in february.... Still need to edit the pictures from this past weekend. 

And thank you for sticking it out through this insanely long post.

8 comments:

Richella Parham said...

So glad you joined Amanda's party!

Looks like you're headed in the right direction with this project! Good for you. I'd say DEFINITELY keep the fountain. You can always change your mind later, but I'll bet you'll find a good use for it.

I was born in Memphis--at Methodist Hospital--lived there until I was nine years old. Such a great old city. My sister still lives in the area (Southaven, MS), so I get back over there from time to time. :)

Bethany Vaughn said...

We are in the middle of getting the outside of our house looking good. We also had a koi pond to get rid of. I think the owner would have a heart attack if she found out though. She talked about how she just knew we would want to keep it. It was nasty and smelly, why would we want to keep it??

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hi there! :) You all have undertaken such a bog project...way to go! :) I agree with Richella...definitely keep the fountain, and donate it later if you change your minds. Can't wait to see the final "After" shots. :)

When you have a chance, please update the link so it goes to the actual party post, and not my homepage. Thanks! :) That helps readers who click on the link later on to find the party without having to search my blog.

Thanks for linking up! I hope you are having fun "mingling." :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Ummm... that should read "such a BIG project" sorry :s

Erica B said...

I love the pictures of your process! I regret not taking some "before" pics on a bunch of things we have done. It is so great to see the progression of where you came from! I really can't wait to see your updated pics! Keep us posted!

ruth said...

can't wait to come over and see the progress in person! i'm looking forward to that cookout:)

ginnyrecipes said...

I live in Memphis too! Really its Bartlett!
Love what you're doing with your backyard. It will be well worth the effort and hard work once you're done!

Unknown said...

Wow, I feel your pain. What a lot of work you guys have done! I can't wait to see more. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment! xx